Re: (erielack) List Address

At 06:11 PM 2/19/2007, Gary R. Kazin wrote:

>--- "Joe K." <joesk_@_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > If an email is received from the list, it would seem logical to
> > assume that the sender is a list member.
> >
> > Therefore, a reply to the list would also guarantee that the
> > original sender would receive the email reply. Why then would
> > someone want to also include that person's email address in
>addition
> > to the list address? That would mean that the original sender is
> > going to get two copies of the reply, one which was addressed to
>the
> > list and the one specifically addressed to him.
>
>What about cross-posts, messages sent to multiple lists?  "Reply all"
>is the only way to send it back to all of them (if you belong to all
>of them).  Another possibility is that you attached something (yes,
>EL will extract it and put it on the photo archives, but some lists
>do allow attachments) and want the prior poster to get the
>attachment directly.

"Reply" and "Reply All" are settings the email sender uses when
forming his/her reply. I believe what we're talking about here is the
default configuration of the original list email setting for the
"Reply To:" field. If the "Reply To:" field is set to the list
address (which I believe it should be for reasons I've given
earlier), then when one uses "Reply" when sending a response, it will
go to the list, which as I've stated before, is the more predominant
situation. If one wants to send a response privately, which I believe
is the less common situation, it's easy enough to change the reply
"To:" field from the list address to the individual's address. The
same argument I believe can be made for cross posting emails. They're
not quite as common as a simple reply to the list. I believe the
default setting should reflect the most commonly used situation and
any deviations should be the responsibility of the sender.

Joe K. (still cutting and pasting when necessary - as in this reply
for instance)