(erielack) Erie signal tester

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-19-07

ErieSignalTesterFrontEmail.jpg (image/jpeg, 1000x669 223285 bytes, BF: 2.910 ppb)
ErieSignal_TesterSideEmail.jpg (image/jpeg, 669x1000 200542 bytes, BF: 3.34 ppb)
ErieSignalTesterRearEmail.jpg (image/jpeg, 1000x669 222385 bytes, BF: 3.01 ppb)
ErieSignalTesterRearOpenEmail.jpg (image/jpeg, 1000x669 253232 bytes, BF: 2.64 ppb)

This other item was given by a retired Erie worker to a friend of mine who
passed it onto me decades ago, knowing of my interest in the Erie. All I was
told is that this apparatus was used to test (or perhaps train?) Erie
personnel in their recognition of the meaning of all kinds of signal
positions and lights. I know nothing more except I can vouch for the
trustworthiness of my friend. There is no Erie logo anythere inside or
outside the box. Inside was an EL Form OD-6 100M (Car Order Form) with a
listing dated 6-11-76, on the back of which are noted which circuits in the
box were OK and which were NG. That does not solve the question of whether
this box was used in EL days; its owner may have just found a convenient
piece of paper to use for his later circuit testing. Reportedly, this was a
one-of-a-kind apparatus and it certainly looks like such an item. It has
railroad utilitarianism oozing from it!! I also do not know if it was NY Div
based or went further in the system. Certainly, if we are talking about
enginemen, they did not have to be tested or trained in signal recognition
by lugging this thing around the division or system. So perhaps it was
classroom based. I just do not know!!

Thanks again for any info that builds on this skeletal knowledge.

Joe Braun