From: <paultup_@_comcast.net>
To: <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:06 PM
Subject: (erielack) DL&W truck mystery

> Lister Mike Dodge showed me an issue of a truck enthusiast magazine
("Hemmings Motor News", March 2006) today that had an article entitled "Coal
on the Roll." The article focused on the various types of trucks used to
deliver coal to the home in the early part of the 20th century.

> The intriguing item was the photo leading the article - a pair of
scissors-type mechanical lift trucks (circa-1920 built) with black cabs, and
the doors were labeled "DL&W SCRANTON COAL". The cabs also read "No. 37" and
"No. 36" along their roofline, respectively.

> What makes the image even more perplexing is that the trucks are in front
of a large building that reads "Milwaukee-Western Fuel Co."  The text of the
article that references this photo reads: "At the Milwaukee-Western Fuel
Company, the cab doors of what we think are a couple of Schacht trucks from
the 1920s advertise that their coal is soot-free anthracite from
northeastern Pennsylvania, delivered by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western
Railroad."

> So this begs a couple of questions:
>
> * How many of these trucks were lettered for DL&W coal service?
> * The Lackawanna did local delivery? Or did they have a
licensing/marketing agreement with local coal retailers?