Re: (erielack) Akron / Windham accident

    When I worked for Amtrak in Zone 5, we ran on the RF&P.....a railroad
very similar to the DL&W. It was highly engineered doubletrack and I noticed
right away that almost all switches were trailing point when you ran WITH
the current of traffic. When running AGAINST the current of traffic I.E.
running north on the southbound track, you had to approach switches at
RESTRICTED speed....(prepared to stop in an assured clear distance). They
assumed you KNEW where the switches were.  Little story
here............running #90 (The Palmetto) we had a notorious official from
Richmond in the cab with us & the dispatcher crossed us to the S/B track at
Fredricksburg. We proceeded at (I believe) 50 mph (another restriction when
running against the current of traffic).
We came upon a switch and neither I nor the other engineer (who had been an
RF&P man before coming to amtrak) thought to slow to restricted speed. The
official didn't say anything until we were by the switch then said "You both
are in a lot of trouble!!".  He got off at DC and shortly we got a notice to
appear for a hearing in Richmond (too bad for Yankees like me). Luckily the
RF&P had another rule in the book that in cases like this made "The most
senior person in the engine cab primarily responsible for violations of this
sort".  Mine WAS an error of OMISSION, but the VPs was done ON PURPOSE. He
just waited until we were by the switch then said something - rather than
preventing the problem by reminding us - something I've done many times on
the EL to prevent a problem. The RF&P decided to drop the whole matter even
though it would probly have been fun for them to have a smart-alec YANKEE to
torture in the old capitol of the Confederacy.

Regards,

Walt Smith