Re: (erielack) A controverial topic? :)

Paul,

You make interesting points. I often wonder whether or not the EL merger  was
a good thing. I think that they had no choice in the end because things in
the industy were happening quickly.

From what we see in hindsight, DLW and NKP could have been a good
combination. They had their interchange at Buffalo and then could go west. As  one, they
might possibly have been a major factor of stabilty within the  industry at
that point in time.

Erie on the other hand could have formed, without a merger, an  affiliation
with Santa Fe. They were both in the position to do so. If that took  place,
that would have given both a trans-continental railroad without having to
answer to the ICC. Again, the Chicago interchange.

Erie had lousy management from Day 1. The "corporate ones" who controlled
Erie were into making money, not into running a railroad. It's surprising that
Erie did as well as it did and overall, it did very well. Erie turned out to
be  "a survivor". Erie competed with PRR and NYC and did so  efffectively.

Lackawanna on the other hand, had for the most part, very good management
but again, it was a much smaller railroad and much easier to manage as compared
to Erie. Although it was smaller than Erie and others in the Northeast, it's
feats are uncompared. DLW was the shortest route between NYC (Hoboken) and
Buffalo. They did it well.

I too am a bit road-biased as you say. I grew up with Erie in Scranton and  I
remember very well the black and yellow. It was a very powerful look, as was
DLW with maroon and grey.

You're not over simplistic at all. Had they managed things properly when
they became one, yes, freight should have travelled via Erie and passengers via
DLW. The DLW route was much more populous than Erie.

The people who worked for both and then for the comined railway, I think
never became one. There are others on our list who can refute this and I'd sure
like to hear them tell us otherwise.

Anyone out there who can tell us if Erie and Lackawanna employees actually
put differences aside and worked for the success of Erie Lackawanna?

That's a story that as far as I know has yet to be told.

Rick

In a message dated 2/18/2007 8:25:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,