Re: (erielack) A controverial topic? :)

- --- paultup_@_comcast.net wrote:

> And just so I'm not perceived as "road biased," I
> thought a similar question about the Erie. Why this
> railroad, that had great high-wide clearances and a
> line from the NY market to Chicago, go through so
> many bankruptcies and was only able to get a small
> portion of that traffic, compared to its NYC and PRR
> competitors? Was the Erie so cash-starved (and in
> bankruptcy) that they simply couldn't improve its
> main line to make it more competitive with the other
> roads?

It seems to me that the Erie suffered from it's
inferior route through New York State and it's roller
coaster contour across Ohio.  We all know that efforts
were made to improve the line in New York with the
Moodna and River lines.  However, apparently the
cash-starved railroad never was able to address the
situation in Ohio.  If it had, would Conrail have been
so quick to abandon it?

Bob Frost