  From: krinmich_@_aol.com
  To: Smtimko_@_aol.com ; stwarogowski@windstream.net ; erielack@lists.elhts.org ; doctorpb@bellsouth.net
  Cc: caltrains_@_cboss.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:03 PM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Akron Questions

  Circa 1969 to 1976, there were two locals based in Akron.  They were symboled PE1-2 and PE3-4 or informally the day and night Barberton jobs.  PE is the telegraph call for Barberton.  The day job would normally go as far west as Wadsworth.  Same for the night job but when I dispatched I would occasionally run it as far west as Creston if there were a few cars there.  The main job of both locals was to take care of the industries from outside of Akron Yard switching limits to Wadsworth.  Although there was industry at Rittman, it was switched by the B&O.  Through trains would set off and pick up at Rittman, and B&O would spot and pull the Boxboard and Salt Works.  There was nothing at Sterling (no interchange being done with B&O) and there was a closed grain elevator at Creston.  The road trains did the interchange with the N&W.  Next place with any local industry was Burbank and that was handled by the local out of Ashland.  I would suppose if there had been anything left at Talmadge, one of the jobs would have taken care of it but I don't recall anything ever being done there in this time.  The night job came off around 1974 or 1975.  Akron Yard crews did the work at Akron including the PC, B&O and AC&Y interchanges.  You would also see through trains pick up Ford Mahwahs directly off the PRR interchange but as I recall the yard engine had to set the cars up for the pickup by getting everything else out except the Fords.

  Although before my time (and Cal or Steve can better answer this than me), I would assume that before Kent Yard closed in 1964 the work on the Wheeling and at Kent was done by a Kent Yard crew.

  Keith Robbins