Re: (erielack) NYS&W Happinings

I've said this before, but I find it sad that where EL used to haul stuff people wanted, its successors now concentrate on hauling stuff people (and other modes) don't want.

Paul B

Don't want to get too far off the EL topic with this, but North Bergen currently had five waste transfer stations controlled by New York Susquehanna & Western Railway. I heard three of sites had been found in violation of state environmental regulations. The waste transfer sites in North Bergen have large debris piles that in most cases are not enclosed and are exposed to the environment leading to unhealthy air conditions and runoff into wetlands and potentially the drinking water.
    The State fined NYS&W $2.5 million for assorted violations but the railroad counter sued. The courts in both cases has so far stayed the fines and allowed the Susquehanna to keep operating the trains.
    It's carloads like this that keeps the NYS&W operating over the former Erie/EL trackage, (List content)!I think the waste is going to landfills in Ohio or the midwest? This kind of traffic is growing accross the country, most in enclosed containers (I was shocked how much garbage WE get by rail from Canada every day!)

  Todd ~