RE: (erielack) Re:GP7/9 s

- -------------- Original message --------------
From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com>

> As for winterization hatches, I'll have to check my records but I
> believe the ex-DL&W GP7s didn't have them, and all the Erie's did.
I believe that only ex-Erie 1404 had thw winterization hatch (have been researching this for a model using the recent Walthers/LL GP-7 model with sound).  This was apparently a single unit order by the Erie.

> All the EL's Geeps had pairs of single-chime "blat" type horns, one each
> that faced in each direction. They were usually mounted on the sides of
> the carbody ahead of the cab, though on the ex-DL&W passenger GP7s, they
> were mounted on the roof, with one being directly between the "torpedo
> tube" air reservoir tanks on the roof.
On 1404 I found the horns mounted on top of both the long and short hoods (at least once it was in EL paint).  I believe you are correct on the other ex-Erie units.  One of these (1402?) was involved with the head-on wreck with the PA south of Tuxedo (Sterlington?) and was scrapped.
Tony Horn
ELHS #2