(erielack) FW: Erie Stillwell

Here's the story of the Erie Stillwell that ended up on the Morris
County Central... an interesting read!

Paul,

I saw the pix of the Erie car at Whippany that you posted on the EL
website.  I remember more than a few trips when we used that car on the
MCC  (it belonged to the Museum at the time).  Earle used to LOVE that
car.  It looked like crap, but it could hold 90 kids on a school trip.

Here's the story on how it came to be part of the Museum collection.
The EL management in Hoboken had been approached about the possibility
of a donation of a Lackawanna "Boonton" coach to the Museum.  One car
was selected and run thru the shops, refurbished,repainted and lettered
"Lackawanna".  The boys at Hoboken were very proud of what they had
done.  I recall John Drake (who was involved with this donation) telling
this story years later, and the anger of what eventually happened still
came through.

Just before it was to be sent up to Morristown, one of the EL's VP's
from Cleveland arrived on a visit to Hoboken.  Being an ex-Erie man, he
demanded to know why the Boonton car was all spiffed up and lettered
Lackawanna.  He was told that it was done as a donation to the MCC
Museum in Whippany.   The official exploded, and gave orders that a
non-restored Erie Stillwell be sent to the Museum instead.  He further
ordered the Boonton car to be immediately scrapped...and it was.

Al Holleuffer will recall this, and Earle Gil mentions this moment in
time quite often.

There was no love between the former Erie and DL&W camps.

Taken care,
Steve