(erielack) Cleveland-Buffalo

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-13-07

DL_corner_Main_S_Park_loow_west_stg_1952.jpg (image/jpeg, 1540x1468 246869 bytes, BF: 9.16 ppb)
DL_loco_in_depot_stg_1951.jpg (image/jpeg, 1269x1510 592016 bytes, BF: 3.24 ppb)
DL_laker_Cuyler_Adams_docked_at_depot_stg_1955.jpg (image/jpeg, 1512x1558 765546 bytes, BF: 3.08 ppb)

Mike,

I found this shot of the corner of Main Street and South Park Ave.
(formerly Ohio Street). If you look closely on the window glass,
you'll see "Bob's Corner Club Restaurant", where I'm sure you ate.

My father, who was with the Railway Post Office, worked frequently
at the DL&W Depot and had many a cup of coffee in here. He also
would be invited aboard the lake freighters for coffee docked along
side between trains. The DL&W collected dockage fees during the
winter from numerous freighters which would spend the winter along
side. The freighters would have a watchman for security and to keep
an eye on the pumps, tie lines, ice conditions, etc. They got lonely so
Dad had many a cup of coffee with these fellows. Attached is the
Cuyler Adams which I'm sure Dad visited.

You're right about crossing a track to get there. There was a track
under the ramp leading into the Prime Street Yard. The depot had
two ramps, one at each end of the depot. I suppose it was designed
this way in case one was out of service due to repairs or a derailment.
Attached is a photo of a switcher where you would have crossed.

All the photos are courtesy the LLMHS and were taken by the late
George & Francis Strong.

Ronald R. Dukarm  ELHS #532 ELHTS #66
rdukarm_@_adelphia.net