RE: (erielack) Latest Southern Tier Happenings

Schuyler wrote:

>A couple of questions arise:
>Up the line from Driftwood, there's "Tunnel Hill" but there appears (in
>those crummy aerial photos) not to be a tunnel.  Was there once one >there?
And Port Allegany, clearly was a port at one time, but on what
 >waterway?  What canal?  And where, exactly, is Machias Junction?  I find
>Machias NY, and there's a 90 degree intersection there, but I can't see if
>there's an interchange there.

>And who will WNY&P interchange with at either end of that line?

>And I assume that "the Norfolk Southern rail yard in Allegany" (does NS
>still own it?) is what we think of as the Olean yard?  Is that actually IN
>Allegany NY?

Machias Junction is the crossing of the former PRR and the BR&P / B&O line
to Rochester.   It is now used by GWI trains (R&S / B&P), to connect their
system with Buffalo via trackage rights.  A new connector was built here
after the R&S line north of Machias and the B&P north of Ashford Jct were
abandoned in the early/mid 1990s.  The PRR line is now a secondary NS main
line (with very little traffic).

Allegany / Olean Yard is the "new" (1980) yard built by Conrail with NY
State funds.  Perhaps 75% of the yard is located in the town of Allegany,
parallel to the former Erie mains,  and the very Eastern end of the Yard is
in the City of Olean.  The yard office and engine service facilities are at
the Western end of the yard, in the town of Allegany.  It is owned by NS.

I assume that Port Allegany might have been considered the furthest upstream
"navigable port" on the Allegheny River, at least in someone's imagination.

I'm not aware of any Tunnel Hill in the vicinity of Driftwood.

Potential interchange partners could be Buffalo & Pittsburg at Machias, and
I believe, but am not certain, that RJ Corman now operates the Low Grade
Secondary that runs West from Driftwood.

JR