(erielack) Latest Southern Tier Happenings

Schuyler,

Port Allegeny is on the Allegany River (north branch?) and no doubt was a port before the railway age. Machias was the location of the junction with the B&O (former BR&P) Rochester branch. It became G&W's Rochester & Southern, and my SPV map shows it abandoned east of Machias and oos west of there (may also be abaondoned by this time). It is about 10 miles NE of Ashford where it came off the Buffalo line. Did you notice the town just north of P Allegany? (Larabee, different sp of course).

Paul B

OK, so I looked up Driftwood PA and Machias NY on Google Earth.  Scenic territory, to say the least.
A couple of questions arise:
Up the line from Driftwood, there's "Tunnel Hill" but there appears (in those crummy aerial photos)
not to be a tunnel.  Was there once one there?  And Port Allegany, clearly was a port at one time,
but on what waterway?  What canal?  And where, exactly, is Machias Junction?  I find Machias NY, and
there's a 90 degree intersection there, but I can't see if there's an interchange there.

And who will WNY&P interchange with at either end of that line?

And I assume that "the Norfolk Southern rail yard in Allegany" (does NS still own it?) is what we
think of as the Olean yard?  Is that actually IN Allegany NY?

SGL