Re: (erielack) DL&W info, please

Schuyler....

I am pretty sure thess DL&E carss are the remanents of the Lackawanna's
large fleet of old wood reefers used in the large ice traffic out of
Tobyhanna area. They were painted box car red with only DL&W intials and car
number plus "assigned to ice service" in about 4" letters to the right of
the doors.

About 25 years ago I did an article in RMC entitled "Riford Ice Co" that
freelanced a retail ice business where they sold the ice right off the cars.
A phto of one of these cars was printed with the article.

Through WW2 around 30 cars of ice a day came into scranton and was
distributed to ice dealers all up and down the valley, including some
interchanged to the D&H.  As late as 1950 a ot of ice was used by bars to
col beer coils in bar rooms along with a lot for the produce distribution
business centered in Scranton. There were even a few homes still using ice
boxes. Ice cooled air conditionig was still in use on Pullman cars and many
caoches on the railroad. There was always a dripping refrigerator car of ice
standing on one of the stub track at the Scranton depot from which ice was
taken for the bunkers on passenger cars.

Have no ideas on how much ice went east from the Poconos but it must have
been substantial.

Hope this is of some help.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO