(erielack) EL working the Buffalo DL&W Terminal area in 1971

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-02-07-07

DLW_Term_Upper_Deck.jpg (image/jpeg, 1318x886 95177 bytes, BF: 12.27 ppb)

List,

In this morning's Buffalo News, we have an article for another proposed
use of the ex-DL&W train shed. I think this is Plan #42: Attached is a photo
of the upper deck I took circa 1983 when the train shed was being converted
for storage and repair of Buffalo's light rail transit system.

DL&W TERMINAL BACKED AS PUBLIC MARKET
By Brian Meyer
News Staff Reporter
2/7/2007

Boston has its famous Haymarket, an open-air emporium that attracts
local shoppers and tourists.
Charleston, S.C., has its noted Straw Market.

If Buffalo lawmakers have their way, the upper deck of a 90-year-old downtown railroad terminal will be transformed into an outdoor public market that would showcase ethnic foods, crafts, antiques and other wares.

The Common Council on Tuesday unanimously passed a bill supporting a plan advanced by community activists to create a seasonal public market atop the former Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad complex.

But the city no longer owns the sprawling DL&W building, at the foot of Main Street near HSBC Arena. It sold the complex to the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority in the late 1970s. The NFTA converted the ground floor into a repair shop and storage facility for its Metro Rail cars.

NFTA Executive Director Lawrence M. Meckler learned about the Council's push from The Buffalo News. He said he would seek input from waterfront planners before taking a stand on the market proposal.

"We're always open to ideas that help economic development and businesses," Meckler said. "But we don't want to do something in a vacuum and possibly compete with other plans."

North Council Member Joseph Golombek Jr. sponsored the resolution, crediting Assemblyman Sam Hoyt and community activist Newell Nussbaumer for leading the effort. Golombek said he would even favor using some public subsidies that have been pledged to the proposed Bass Pro project to get the market started.

"Instead of spending millions of dollars on Bass Pro, I would rather do a variety of small business projects," Golombek said.

While the market proposal won unanimous backing from city lawmakers, Council President David A. Franczyk raised questions about the impact such a facility might have on a noted retail icon in his Fillmore District neighborhood.

"My first priority is the Broadway Market," Franczyk said. "Does the city have enough population to support another market?"

There's also the Clinton-Bailey Market, as well as a farmers' market sponsored by Buffalo Place that sets up shop along the Main Street Pedestrian Mall every summer and a number of smaller seasonal markets in other neighborhoods.

But supporters are convinced that the DL&W site, with its proximity to development that is expected to occur along the waterfront, would be an ideal place for an outdoor market - even if it were only open on weekends.

Ronald R. Dukarm  ELHS #532  ELHTS #66
rdukarm_@_adelphia.net