Re: (erielack) Structure Color Scheme

Bill,

I only research the Sussex Branch, but the rest of the DL&W sometimes
leaks in around the edges.  Barn red is what I would use without an
actual sample of the color.  I modeled a Branchville station kit which I
placed at 1910 and used red oxide for the color.

 From my doings of the stations on the Sussex Branch, I've determined
enough to convince me that about the time of WWI (1915 for Newton) the
DL&W painted their stations a light gray with green trim. The hue is up
for grabs, but I'm guessing a neutral gray as it was described as 'drab'
and also as possible matching the concrete of the newly paved lower
Spring Street in Newton.  Colorized postcards, while not 100% reliable
for hue (or even color sometimes) do correlate what I've found as
mentions in the newspapers of the time.

Around WWII (definitely by 1947 in Newton by a color photo) the DL&W was
painting stations (maybe not all) in the familiar dark green and red
trim.  Again, I speak from my Sussex Branch obsession, but I think it
reflects the railroad generally.

Dave

>  >From Archives_@_Railfan.net
> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 00:16:50 EST
> From: WlClvrh2_@_aol.com
> Subject: (erielack) Structure Color Scheme
>
> The color scheme on DL&W wooden structures during my 'railfan career'  has
> been a nicely faded Forest Green with Chinese Red trim. I understand
> that  prior
> to 1910 century, the color scheme was a barn red.
>
> Is this correct? Were there any earlier schemes, or branch  variations?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Culverhouse

- --
Modeling the D.L.& W. Sussex Branch