RE: (erielack) A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

> I was watching "Lackawanna Steam - Volume II" this afternoon
> and saw an interesting thing that I never asked about.  There
> are a couple of shots at the Elmira yard and also on the
> Dansville & Mount Morris where steam is being prepped for
> service.  The engineer is running a long rod into the firebox
> from the ashpan area.  What exactly is going on here?  It
> does not look like easy work and it appears to be precise in
> nature.  I don't know that much about steam so can you help me out?

Snipped the question about parlor cars

> Thanks,
>
> Ed Montgomery

The fireman is working the bottom of the fire, trying to clear out clinkers and generally open up
the bottom of the fire, so as to get better draft.  One of the measures of locomotive design is the
volume of combustion air able to pass through the firebox, combustion chamber (if any), flues,
smokebox and stack.  More air = more complete combustion = less smoke = more economy.  It's
"precise" in that the work is through the openings in the grate, so it's not an easy thing to do,
sticking that rod (which ain't lightweight) into fairly small openings.  It is NOT easy work.

SGL

Note, I sent this yesterday, and somehow managed to only send it to Ed.  I disagree with "ELRRB65's"
response today, because in the days of the DL&W they had ash pits, and only in extreme circs would
they have made the mess you discuss, dumping ashes and water onto the tracks.

SGL