(erielack) A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

I was watching "Lackawanna Steam - Volume II" this afternoon and saw an interesting thing that I never asked about.  There are a couple of shots at the Elmira yard and also on the Dansville & Mount Morris where steam is being prepped for service.  The engineer is running a long rod into the firebox from the ashpan area.  What exactly is going on here?  It does not look like easy work and it appears to be precise in nature.  I don't know that much about steam so can you help me out?

There has beeen a lot of discussion about Lackawanna Parlor cars.  There was another car that was used as a backup for the Tevern Lounge cars when one was in the shop for servicing.  What car was this?  Was it a modernized solarium lounge?  What ever happened to this car?

Thanks,

Ed Montgomery