Re: (erielack) Binghamton/Sayre Connections

That movement where the D&H ran all the way to Waverly on the EL main was a
short time thing. I can't recall the reason but I think the LV was repairing
the bridge across Owego creek.

Naturally, the EL neaarly went bonkers when the D&H ran to Waverly...then
parked the train on the westbound main, ran to Chemeng, back on the
eastbound, attached to the train, then on down the interchange track to
Sayre yard.  Forget how long this lasted.

The cover of the RAILFAN issue showed one of the sahrks at SAyre on the EL

I suspect the Erie was very, very happy to give the D&H trackage rights to
Owego in return for switching charges to the Moon Feed Co. As I got it from
local old timers, back in the '20s Moon was getting 40 to 50 cars a week
from the Erie. They probably had one very unhappy customer (probably the
largest in Binghamton) who was paying the switching charges. Under ICC rules
in effect at the time on rates I doubt the Erie could absorb these switching
charges. Giving trackage rights a gesture that cost the Erie virtually
nothing since the D&H was not in a position to get the grain traffic from
the west except from the Erie..or from the DL&W which was a really bad
switching problem to get to Moon.

Last I heard Jim Lathrop the LV engineer who was on the Binghanton run was
still alive and well in Sayre.

Also discussed the Binghamton-Sayre run in my book "The Steam Era of LV"
which unfortunately is out of print.

Chuck Y
Boulder CO