(erielack) Re: EL Mail List Digest V3 #2280

What's been posted is essentially true -

Erie wanted to switch Moon Mills and swapped the D&H for trackage rights
with the LV between Owego and Binghamton - which continued long after the
mill closed.

The LV had it's own line from Sayre to Owego, the old Southern Central which
once reached Lake Ontario; it ran alongside the EL most of the way to Owego
before turning north.  The state spent a bit of money to rehabilitate
portions of this line prior to Conrail, only to have it abandoned when the
EL also became a Conrail property.  It crossed under the EL to get to the
north side of the line, I think in the winter you can still see the cut and
bridges from 17.

CP may still go to Owego to interchange with the Owego & Hartford - at one
time they operated that line, ex-LV GP38-2's that never saw that track in LV
days actually were used on it.   I'm not sure what sort of deal they made
with NS when they gave up going to Buffalo.

Bill K.