RE: (erielack) Binghamton/Sayre Connections

Josh, first of all, I don't think Erie/EL was involved at all in this.

This was a link between the D&H and the LV.  LV, of course, had their own track to Owego (was that
continuous, or did the use of ERIE track begin west of Owego?) which went on up to Cortland, as we
all know.

What I have heard from more than one source is that the agreement to allow D&H/LV interchange via
the ERIE tracks was a bargain struck so that the ERIE could have the  switching rights to Moon
Milling in Binghamton.  The D&H owned those rights because that was D&H track over there.  Shipments
on the ERIE to Moon would get all the way to 100 yds from their destination, and then have to be
switched into place by the D&H.  Randy, no doubt, can explain how this affected the distribution of
the money involved, but as the terminating road, D&H was getting a good piece of it for doing
virtually no work.  In order to gain that last bit of revenue, the ERIE wanted to be able to switch
and deliver the shipments all the way.  Therefore, a trade, rights to switching Moon, for rights to
go to Sayre.  I think the ERIE figured the incremental increase in required track maintenance was
dang near zero, a rationale not applied to the operation of passenger trains later on.

One thing I've wondered is if Moon also shipped things (flour?) out as well as getting grains in.

SGL