Re:(erielack) Empty returns

Thanks for the explanations, Randy and Bob. I did mean AAR, although I believe the ICC got involved at times, temporarily overriding specific interchange rules at time of severe car shortages, especially grain cars. I didn't realize the AAR had the authority to fine RR's fro violation of interchange rules.

Paul B

Paul,
  All of us agents had a AAR Service Order 90  form, often under glass on the top of the desk. It showed us what cars where home in each region of the United States and Canada. It also listed the primary returning carrier for empty cars that could not be returned via reverse route to their owner. For example a B&M car is received and unloaded on the EL. The EL does not have a load for the car to its home region. SO 90 gave you the route to return the car home. These where written rules that must be followed for moving empty cars. At times an AAR inspector would come into the station and look through your waybill copies trying to find mishandled empty or loaded cars to fine you for not moving them properly. The EL auditor also went through your waybills looking for the same thing to find it before an AAR auditor so it could be corrected and the EL not fined.
  Bob Stafford

Janet & Randy Brown <jananran_@_mymailstation.com> wrote:
  Paul -- Several comments:

First, the ICC had nothing to do with it. It was the AAR -- the railroads themselves -- who made and enforced these rules.

Secondly, I should have made clear that the return of empties by the reverse route was the accepted practice and made them available for loading.