(erielack) Run-throughs - formal process or "winging it?"

Hi all,

The recent discussions of EL over former NH lines and PC over the EL to
Port Jervis got me thinking - were all these run-throughs part of a
formal agreement, or was it an example of railroads doing their own
deals (i.e., "we'll let you take our SD45s to New Haven if you let us
take your U33Cs to Port Jervis for these two trips")?

What made me wonder is that you hear a lot about "power sharing under
Dereco ownership," yet you don't see that many photos of D&H or N&W
units on EL trains in those years. I almost think that the reason you
see these photos in books and such is because it was such an uncommon
occurrence, and it's good "eye candy" for reader.  More common, it would
appear, was the appearance of BN (and predecessor) and MILW power on EL
trains. Again, was there a formal pooling agreement? All these were
fairly short-term (it appears the BN runthroughs lasted around 2 years)
- - why did they start in the first place? I've heard that it was to make
up for even power usage, but you don't see that many photos of EL units
on BN lines - at least not as many as BN units on the EL.