Re:Re:(erielack) Empty returns

Paul -- Several comments:

First, the ICC had nothing to do with it.  It was the AAR -- the railroads themselves -- who made and enforced these rules.

Secondly, I should have made clear that the return of empties by the reverse route was the accepted practice and made them available for loading.

Next, you imply that the loads were in cars of the originating road when, in fact, they weren't in many, if not most, cases.  The rules said to load the car toward home if possible; therefore your first example had a high chance of being owned by the RDG, LV or D&H -- or even EL, PC or B&M.  And, the phrase "if possible" allowed a car distributor to send the car to a shipper to be loaded for California, if there were no other cars available.

Then, even if the EL got stuck with empty miles, that was only fair because someone else was similiarly stuck with empty EL cars.

Finally, just think -- if the noon deadline had gone into effect, how many more transfer runs would have been available for pictures!?!

Randy Brown
Let me try to clarify this with a couple of examples of empty free-runners with no return load ca 1972-76

Example One: Car is loaded on N&W at Roanoke for Albany and is routed N&W-Hagerstown-RDG-Allentown-LV-Dupont-D&H. From Albany the closest N&W interchange is Buffalo, so according to the rules the empty move is routed D&H-Binghamton-EL-Buffalo. Thus EL is stuck with the empty move without having received revenue from the loaded move.

Example Two: Car is loaded somewhere on ATSF and takes the Alphabet route to Jersey City on CNJ. CNJ has a choice of two return routes of approximately equal mileage on CNJ itself: the reverse route via Phillipsburg and the RDG or via Lake Jct and EL. Both routes get the car back to ATSF at Chicago. Where there is more than one route, did ICC rules stipulate the reverse route?

. . . I also recall a proposal back in the early 70's to split per diem into 12 hour accounting periods by adding a noon deadline. It would have alleviated many of the late evening operating issues and I thought it was a good idea, but I don't think anything came of it.

Many happy returns, Randy.

Paul B