Re: (erielack) More Cutoff info

Were there any specifics given about the upper arch's structural
"failures", or was just a vague, blanket statement made about the
bridge's failings of the limestone and rebar?

Was anything said about how the deck would be repaired/replaced?

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:49:36 -0500, "Tim Stuy" <njmidland_@_verizon.net>
said:
> I wondered about this as well.  At the session in Blairstown on Monday I
> asked one the the engineering consultants about this.  He told me that
> the
> arches and the bases into the ground and the river on the Deleware River
> Viaduct are fine.  The upper arches that support the track deck are shot.
> asked about the Paulinskill Viaduct and he said it is fine and ready to
> go.
> So why the difference between the two?  The consultant claimed that the
> Delaware River Viaduct was the first one built and that there were some
> significant changes made when they did the Paulinskill (and later,
> Tunkahannock).  He said the changes were in the size of the rebar and in
> limestone content.
>
> I don't know how true any of this is but at least it sounds plausible.
>
> Tim
>

> > Seriously? I know there's been some minor concrete leaching, but "new
> > arches?" Are they serious???
> >
> > Not being a civil engineer, I can't attest to the bridge's strength, but
> > having walked across it several times, it sure seems substantial to me.
> >
> >         - Paul
> >

> 	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
> 	Sponsored by the ELH&TS
> 	http://www.elhts.org