RE: (erielack) More Cutoff info

The meetings were run by NJ Transit and Edwards & Kelcey, the enginnering
firm.

             "Henry W Jarusik"
             <hwjpa_@_fastem.com
             Sent by:                  "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"
             erielack-owner_@_li         <paultup@alcatel-lucent.com>
             sts.elhts.org             "J. Henry   Priebe Jr."
                                       <root_@_net.bluemoon.net>
                                       "Erie Lackawanna Mail List"
             01/31/2007 09:39          <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: (erielack) More Cutoff info
             "Henry W Jarusik"
             <hwjpa_@_fastem.com

I'm not following this thread in great depth, however:

It may be just a case of CYA by the entity running the meeting.  It's
the "Make it seem worse than it is" school of thought.  Then as
re-construction proceeds it couldn't get worse, only better, but, at
least they would avoid ending up with egg on their faces engineering or
financially speaking.
Take it from where it comes.  It's very, very early in the process.

Who ran this/runs these public hearings anyway?

Henry Jarusik

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:12:18 -0600, "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"
<paultup_@_alcatel-lucent.com> said:
> > TRAINS:  STROUDSBURG, Pa. - The viaduct over the Delaware
> > River in Slateford, Pa., may be an impediment to the
> > restoration of passenger rail service on the former
> > Lackawanna New Jersey Cutoff. At a public hearing last week
> > in Stroudsburg, residents were told that the viaduct in
> > Slateford needs "extensive rehabilitation" before trains use
> > it again, the Pocono Record Writer reported. The hearing
> > addressed issues in a draft environmental assessment needed
> > to apply for the $551 million in federal funds to make rail
> > service between Scranton, Pa., and Hoboken, N.J., a reality.
> > The bridge, several miles south of the Delaware Water Gap,
> > needs new arches and a new deck. Both are "severely
> > deteriorated," according to the report.
>

> Seriously? I know there's been some minor concrete leaching, but "new
> arches?" Are they serious???
>
> Not being a civil engineer, I can't attest to the bridge's strength, but
> having walked across it several times, it sure seems substantial to me.
>
>            - Paul
>
>            The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
>            Sponsored by the ELH&TS
>            http://www.elhts.org