RE: (erielack) Auto racks - decapitation

Mike - It's true.

They were 1965 Ford Fairlanes, but they werenn't really decapitated, just scratched and dinged on the roofs.  We had at least two on the New York Division - a really classy black station wagon with red trim, used by our erstwhile passenger trainmaster, Mr. Flynn, to drive between the Dugout and other places; and a gray station wagon with less trim used by Fred Lichtenberger, one of our two Assistant Master Carpenters.  They had come through the claims department after Ford had been compensated for the total cost of the new cars.

Gordon Davids

From: Michael Connor <mjconnor_rr_@_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: (erielack) Auto racks

List
I worked as an extra boartd clerk and operator at Binghamton QD/East Binghamton BY summers and various college vacation times in 1965 - 1967--the EL Police Department was driving a new car that, they said, had been decapitated at the Chenango Street bridge and purchased and rebuilt by the EL.  I'd take the story with a grain of salt but that's what was being told.

Michael J. Connor