(erielack) Autoracks over Poughkeepsie Bridge

That settles it, the caption is accurate so the NE-97 westbound had the empty autoracks. All 3 photos were taken from the south side of the bridge. Randy's correct, three cars does not make a traffic pattern, but the likelihood is that the loaded cars had come east through Maybrook. Since they were trilevels with probable clearance restrictions, the most likely unloading facility was on the B&A at W Springfield, although NH may have had a facility near New Haven on the Maybrook line that PC hadn't closed yet. The racks may have been headed for L&HR rather than EL. N&W's Shenandoah Valley line was an important autorack route due to absence of clearance issues. The routing (in reverse) was SR-N&W-RDG-L&HR-PC. The train may be a combined NE-97/BO-1, and the racks may be destined for one of the Atlanta assembly plants. Unfortunately this doesn't help us much on the Framingham traffic.

The most interesting train in the trio of photographs is the CB-2 of 5/8/74 at 1230 pm. I was a bit off in my post of yesterday; the fire occurred on this date! It was noticed at 2 pm and allegedly was started by a spark from a passing train. So not only was this CB-2 the final train over the bridge, it was the one that started the fire if in fact the spark theory is correct. I believe this is actually a combined CB-2/OB-2; CB-2 originated at Port Jervis and OB-2 was the Maybrook connection for L&HR train NE-94.

Paul B

From: "Paul R. Tupaczewski" <paultup_@_comcast.net>
Subject: (erielack) Autoracks over Poughkeepsie Bridge

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-01-30-07

Poughkeepsie_PC_train_NE-97-4-74.jpg (image/jpeg, 800x552 94708 bytes, BF: 4.66 ppb)
Poughkeepsie_2_PC_train_NE-97-4-74.jpg (image/jpeg, 800x549 99870 bytes, BF: 4.310 ppb)
Poughkeepsie_PC_train_CB-2-5-8-74_1230PM.jpg (image/jpeg, 800x560 100703 bytes, BF: 4.45 ppb)

As promised earlier, here are some shots of PC trains with EL power going
across the Poughkeepsie Bridge. The first shot is the one I referenced, with
the tri-level autoracks.

Photos by Heyward Cohen, collection of Frank Perez/Jay Held.