Re: (erielack)Taxes

Governments don't appear to grasp the concept "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".

Paul B

My understanding is that the assessment for improvements to railroad
property is significant, so much so that the crossover at QD(Prospect St in
Binghamton) has never been made a power switch, despite the fact that doing
so would add operational flexibility, as well as make life a lot easier for
the crews who use it. NS has a cab under contract just to ferry crews who
have to throw the switch and get back to the head end. It's no wonder EL
paid so much in taxes on a line that had a lot of double track and
associated structures and appliances. They would have paid taxes to about 23
counties in NY, and probably four times as many towns and school districts,
plus a smattering of villages and cities.

On 3.65 acres, my taxes were about $1400 for town and county, and my most
recent school tax bill was $2170, up $170 from last year. I'm headed
south....

Tom B