(erielack) Re: Taxes

Over on the Lehigh Valley, without commuter service to deal with, with a lot
less property to tax but also a lot less revenue, they managed to show a
small profit the first quarter of 1975 by their own accounting methods.
Given they hadn't made any money since 1956, it was pretty insignifgant, but
it does point in the direction that a lower tax burden might have allowed
the EL to make a profit.

I think you'll find that Conrail dumped the cutoff as much because of the
taxes on it as anything else, doesn't seem like being owned by the
government made them immune to that problem.  Anyone know what the tax rates
actually were, or how it was calculated?  I know some states based them on
not only property but even the number and length of tracks on the property -

Also, for what it's worth, I heard a report on the radio the other day (on a
Utica NY station) that Onieda County is revoking it's "Payment in Lieu of
Taxes" ("PILOT") agreement with the NYS&W.   They're unhappy and feel the
railroad violated the agreement when they made steps to allow a power
company to use the property to build a large power line from upstate to the
NYC area.   This will cost the NYS&W approximately $115,000 per year
according to the report.  Wonder what this will mean for the north end of
the old DL&W?  They've already given up on the middle of the branch -

Just for comparison's sake, when I look at tax auction info, the average
homeowner pays around 1/100th of that (anywhere from $800 to $2000
typically) annually.

Bill K.