(erielack) Algoma Central va. DL&W

In a message dated 10/27/06 10:16:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gobills_@_ncweb.com writes:

> > > Also note that the yellow lettering inside the maroon band didn't come
>  > > about until EL years. The scheme would have been more believable if
the
> EMD
>  > > name appeared in maroon below the stripe - as on the E-units.
>  > >
>  > >         - Paul

I didn't see this thread until late, but Paul's right about the yellow
lettering.  Those models had to have been inspired by the E-unit demos DL&W bought.
I was told by people at EMD that those two DL&W units were painted for DL&W
and lettered as demonstrators to get them onto the railroad sooner; the demos
had an earlier production date than the DL&W production units.  While they may
have operated on other railroads, there was no documentation found about a
formal "tour" of the 810 and 811, which isn't to say there wasn't one, just that
nothing was found talking about it.

I thought the F7 Demos that toured the Algoma and other roads were in a later
Milwaukee-like design with muted colors, but I'd have to look that up.

The Algoma scheme was very close to, but not an exact copy of, the DL&W
scheme.  The curves are slightly different, the gray was darker, about that of the
O&W units.  Circa 1985 when Tri-State was trying to paint its F3 for the
Lackawanna, Bob Bahrs got me to call the Algoma to ask about the paint scheme and
colors -- it was informative and they sent metal chips and drawings but wanted
no credit for it.  I recall the yellow wasn't dulux gold, and the gray was
darker than DL&W, having seen the actual EMD chips in 1989 at an EMD open house.

Mike Del Vecchio