Re: (erielack) Comet I cars- going, going...

That's probably a good estimate, particularly if they had to resignal as
far as Scranton.  I'm curious what they do for food from Port Jervis (90?
miles)?  Although Scranton (at 131 miles), or even Mt. Pocono (100 miles)
would be farther than a Port Jervis trip.  Analomink would be close in
terms of mileage to Port Jervis.

             "Gary R. Kazin"
             <gkazin_@_yahoo.com
             Sent by:                  EL List
             erielack-owner_@_li         <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
             sts.elhts.org                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/26/2006 08:51          Re: (erielack) Comet I cars- going,
             AM                        going...

             Please respond to
              "Gary R. Kazin"
             <gkazin_@_yahoo.com

Cost estimates for the Cutoff include new rolling stock...

If NJT broke ground for the Cutoff TODAY, the first train couldn't
run until 2009.  Remember, there are no rails between Port Morris and
Slateford, it has to be rebuilt from scratch.  Roadbed, signals,
etc...

Equipment can be built in that time, especially if using an existing
design (i.e. Comet V or bilevel).  Advocacy groups have recommended
new equipment have 2-2 seating and increased pitch (longer space
between rows) as well as some form of food service, probably a
catering cart to pass through the train in the morning.  A Comet V
would probably seat 100 passengers.

- --- Njricky2_@_aol.com wrote:
> Pure speculation here. What if the Cut-Off was reinstated in the
> next year or so and service to the Poconos and Scranton returned?
> What would NJT, who is expected to be the operator do? Would they
> shift the older Comets onto the Scranton-Pocono line or try to
> make it a class act using new equipment?

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey