Re: (erielack) DL&W Gondolas - Lettering Style

Bill and all,

We actually have the DL&W Gondola 68528 at Steamtown.  I wrote a report on
it, including builders photos of this style gondola.  Send me your snail
mail address and I will send a copy your way.  Our gon is currently in
Conrail colors, but you can see the E-L colors bleeding through, and it was
DL&W before that.

It is a really interesting piece.

Patrick McKnight
Historian/Archivist
Steamtown NHS
570-340-5193

We need history, not to tell us what happened or to explain the past, but
to make the past alive so that it can explain us and make a future
possible.-Alan Bloom

                      "William E. Botkin"
                      <webotkin_@_ecentral.        To:       "Erie Lackawanna List"
                      com>                        <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>
                      Sent by:                   cc:       (bcc: Pat McKnight/STEA/NPS)
                      erielack-owner_@_list        Subject:  (erielack) DL&W Gondolas - Lettering
                      s.elhts.org                 Style

                      10/26/2006 08:20 PM
                      CST
                      Please respond to
                      "William E. Botkin"

Folks,

I am trying to do some models of DL&W gons and have found precious few
photos including the Morning Sun Books (my usual source).  I am using a
couple of Proto 2000 52-foot mill gons to model the 52 foot DL&W series
68500-68974, but can't find any photos to show how they were lettered.

Also going to kit-bash some Athearn 40 foot cement container gons to
replicate the DL&W cement gons using the MR article in the Jan 1995 issue
by Jim Hertzog on the LV versions as a basis.

Some of the photos I have found seem to show the lettering (DL&W) in a
san-serif style with the square "Road of Anthracite" on the side.  None
show "Lackawanna" spelled out on the side of the gons.  The san-serif
lettering style is strange as other than the RS3s, I haven't seen that used
before by the Lackawanna.

If anyone has any photos or information on DL&W gon lettering, I would
appreciate it!

Thanks.

Bill Botkin
Centennial, CO