RE: (erielack) Are these for real?

The DL&W scheme was designed by EMD - it's a standard variant of their
catalog of paint schemes for cab units.

	- Paul

	From: pat.moore_@_att.net [mailto:pat.moore@att.net]
	Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:33 AM
	To: Tim Stuy; Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
	Cc: areibel_@_netscape.net; el list
	Subject: Re: (erielack) Are these for real?

	All...

	Yeah, but didn't the EMD styling department come up with a whole
bunch of paint schemes to try to sell their new locomotives to the
various railroads?  What was the origin of the DL&W "passenger" scheme?
Did the railroad dream it up by itself, or with the help of EMD, or did
the DL&W just adopt one of EMD's schemes as their own?  If the DL&W had
help from EMD's styling department, then it would be a likely
explanation of how the Algoma Central ended up with a nearly identical
paint scheme.  After all, if you look at a lot of F-unit paint schemes
from the different railroads, there are similarities among them.

	pat moore #1719

	greenville, sc

		-------------- Original message from "Tim Stuy"
<njmidland_@_verizon.net>: --------------

		> I don't have the photos any more, but EMD did send
some F unit demonstrators
		> to the Algoma Central in what looked like DL&W colors.
I don't remember if
		> the AC ever owned them, but I assume that is what got
them to using the DL&W

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120044101298

		> > > Did EMD actually paint F3 Demo units in DLW
colors?
		> > > I must say I like their choice!
		> > > Al Reibel
		> >
		> >
		> > Not to the best o! f my kn owledge (it looks a
little too "awkward" for it to
		> > be an EMD scheme with the "ELECTRO-MOTIVE" inside
the maroon stripe.

		> > Maybe it was a "dream scheme" based on the two E8s
that EMD *did* do up in
		> > DL&W paint with "ELECTRO-MOTIVE" where "LACKAWANNA"
would appear. These
		> > units - EMD 810 and 811 - later became DL&W 810 and
811.

		> > Also note that the yellow lettering inside the
maroon band didn't come
		> > about until EL years. The scheme would have been
more believable if the EMD
		> > name appeared in maroon below the stripe - as on the
E-units.