RE: (erielack) Newburg Branch

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-10-25-06

3eef72.jpg (image/jpeg, 576x436 261686 bytes, BF: 0.96 ppb)

At 06:29 AM 10/25/06, Paul Brezicki wrote:
>Yes, I enjoy perusing maps also. etc., etc.
>
>During EL years, the Newburgh branch connected with the Graham line via
>Goshen and the Main line. The eastern 6 miles of the Graham line was
>actually the original Newburgh branch and diverged just north of Highland
>Mills. Does anyone know when the portion from there to Vail's Gate Jct was
>abandoned? Operationally IIRC the Newburgh local would come down the
>branch, work the L&HR interchange at Goshen, head east and work Newburgh
>Jct if necessary and then retrace it's steps back to Newburgh.

Here's a shot of the former original Newburgh branch right of way taken
from the southbound New York State Thruway south of the Newburgh exit. The
Thruway crossed over the O&W just a little way north of here.

Joe K.

3eef72.jpg