RE: (erielack) Montville Station

Understood, although the same argument could have been used against much of
the rest of the EL commuter lines as well.  I suspect that there wasn't
enough political support to stop the cutbacks in service.  Just imagine
what would happen nowadays to any politician in Northern New Jersey who
would today push for cutbacks in NJ Transit service.  He or she would be
tarred-and-feathered.  Like it or not (and I'm not sure I like it), but I
think NJ Transit has reached near sacred cow status.

             "Tupaczewski,
             Paul R (Paul)"
             <paultup_@_lucent.c                                          To
             om>                       "'Charles_Walsh_@_berlex.com'"
             Sent by:                  <Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com>
             erielack-owner_@_li         "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"
             sts.elhts.org             <paultup_@_lucent.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       "Montgomery, Edward T"
             10/23/2006 11:15          <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu>, Fred
             AM                        Stratton <erief7_@_msn.com>,
                                       erielack_@_lists.elhts.org
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: (erielack) Montville Station
               "Tupaczewski,
              Paul R (Paul)"
             <paultup_@_lucent.c
                    om>

Chuck Walsh wrote:

> When the EL dropped weekend service on the Boonton Line...and
> I guess at
> the same time cut back service from Washington to
> Netcong...now 40 years
> ago, it was, indeed, a different era.  I wonder what the
> level of weekend
> and off-peak service, sorely missing on the Boonton Line now,
> was like?  I
> can't help but think that service on weekends helps bolster
> weekday service
> as well.

Whatever levels of service they ran, it still didn't change the fact that
it was a money-losing proposition. Remember, today all these great services
offered by commuter agencies and Amtrak are funded by you and me!

The EL was more than happy to have this giant weight taken off its back,
but too little, too late. :(

> I realize that one of the "promises" that NJ
> Transit made with
> the folks in Montclair prior to the completion of the
> Montclair Connection
> was that there wouldn't be any weekend service...a stupid
> promise, but NJT
> must have felt compelled to comply in order to placate the
> local NIMBYs
> there..

A "promise" is not a legally binding document. ;)

> Nevertheless, I'm wondering what the "EL"  (or even
> DL&W) model
> for service on the Boonton Line was like?

I thought in EL years there was only 1 or two trains each direction on
Saturday, nothing on Sunday. And NJDOT kept one Saturday round-trip on the
schedules right into NJ Transit, which cancelled the train.

             - Paul

P.S. When do you a "reply all" and you get "erielack-owner" as one of the
people it's going to, please delete that - thanks!