RE: (erielack) Montville Station

Paul,

When the EL dropped weekend service on the Boonton Line...and I guess at
the same time cut back service from Washington to Netcong...now 40 years
ago, it was, indeed, a different era.  I wonder what the level of weekend
and off-peak service, sorely missing on the Boonton Line now, was like?  I
can't help but think that service on weekends helps bolster weekday service
as well.  I realize that one of the "promises" that NJ Transit made with
the folks in Montclair prior to the completion of the Montclair Connection
was that there wouldn't be any weekend service...a stupid promise, but NJT
must have felt compelled to comply in order to placate the local NIMBYs
there..  Nevertheless, I'm wondering what the "EL"  (or even DL&W) model
for service on the Boonton Line was like?

Chuck

             "Tupaczewski,
             Paul R (Paul)"
             <paultup_@_lucent.c                                          To
             om>                       "'Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com'"
             Sent by:                  <Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com>
             erielack-owner_@_li         "Montgomery, Edward T"
             sts.elhts.org             <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu>
                                                                        cc
                                       Fred Stratton <erief7_@_msn.com>,
             10/23/2006 10:39          erielack_@_lists.elhts.org
                                       RE: (erielack) Montville Station

             Please respond to
               "Tupaczewski,
              Paul R (Paul)"
             <paultup_@_lucent.c
                    om>

> I go past the station site on a regular basis and the surrounding
> neighborhoods look like they could support a commuter stop
> again (alot has
> happened along the Boonton Line since '66).  The major issue,
> as always,
> would be parking.  Nevertheless, I could see the need for a
> stop between
> Boonton and Towaco.  Obviously, the DL&W did.

That area in Montville is filled with McMansions now, and you can probably
bet there are a lot of high-profile folks living there who must commute
into NYC. The problem, as Chuck points out, is that the station area has
almost no parking. However, there was a factory at the bottom of the
embankment from the tracks that was recently torn down. You could put
parking in there....

Where there's a will, people... :)