Re: (erielack) Re: The EL un-merger

It would have taken a very aggressive management, more
connections, and a lot of luck for it to have survived
in the rust belt.

How?

Deregulation, reduced crews, the freedom to sell or
abandon unprofitable lines, and the commuter trains
being taken over by transit authorities.

With it's high tolerances and lack of congested urban
terminals, it would have had a big head start on
double stack intermodal trains.

The unit grain train craze came about after the EL
disappeared, and those trains move to/from EL track at
places like Spencerville and Kent, Ohio. Could there
have been more elevators along the main that would
have done the same thing?

Automotive traffic has declined somewhat, but the NS
still does a great deal of business on the former EL
in Ontario, Ohio from the GM plant there.

If they could have been paired with the still highly
profitable Pittsburgh and Lake Erie, which generated a
lot of tonnage in the 70's and 80's, it would have
helped EL get over the hump, so to speak, and could be
a market for an intermodal factility (although it's
only 90 minutes from Akron Ohio). Not to mention the
CSX trains running on it.

Trackage rights (as a condition of the NS merger) into
Kansas City for a bypass around Chicago, providing a
better connection with the Santa Fe, and direct
connections with the KCS and at that time the Rio
Grande and Katy.

Local traffic hasn't completely dried up, although
class ones don't want any of it. There are two daily
locals working the Cleveland line. On the main one
works from Kent to Ravenna, another Akron to Rittman,
another West Salem-Mansfield (not counting the GM
plant). The last three are shortlines and only run
every-other-day as far as I know.

Aggressive marketing may have brought new major
customers online, like Home Depot or Lowes
distributors, just a thought.

How big was the EL involved with the chemical plants
in NJ?

I'm just throwing out some ideas, it would still be
highly unlikely the EL would have made it this long
without being bought out by one of the six majors. But
they said the same thing about the KCS... Fun to think
about, in between the three trains a week we see here.

Mike Spinelli