(erielack) EL Day - Little Falls Curve

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-10-20-06

peckmanbridge.jpg (image/jpeg, 534x746 85733 bytes, BF: 4.65 ppb)

Paul T.,

Thanks for that shot; glad to see that someone made something out of it.
That curve south of Francisco Avenue was generally a photographic
heartbreaker, unless you had a helicopter.  It would have been great if you
could have somehow gotten an overview of it, with the Peckman River
mini-viaduct smack at the mid-point.  But you just couldn't, and to boot, it
went away from the sun ("cupping" towards the north).  I've attached the one
shot I took down there, of SFE-100 on the bridge.

Oh, there was one more mini-scenic wonder on the Greenwood Lake Line stretch
of my NY-98 journey: the West Arlington (WR) bridge over the Passaic River.
Nice view of Route 21, the muddy brown Passaic, and the northern Newark
suburbs.  Hey, it wasn't Paulins Kill, but what the heck; they're both out
of service now.

And while you've got me thinking here about bridges, there was one more nice
EL moment I will mention: riding NY-74 out of Port Jervis at night (back in
72, pre-Scranton diversion), up with the engineer.  I'll never forget the
slightly queezy feeling I got as we approached Moodna Creek, rolling along
at around 45 mph, looking out where the ground drops away.  Couldn't help
but ask myself, "we're really gonna get over on that skinny little strip of
metal?"  Obviously we did.  Wonder if any young, just-hired crew guys had a
similar feeling on their first trips over Belfast or Portage?

Jim G.