Re: (erielack) Re: The EL un-merger

Curtis Brookshire wrote:
<snip>>

> Erie:
> I find the Erie a little easier since it was a "complete" New Jersey-Chicago
> line. I'd go for broke and merge with the ATSF. Here's the
> transcontinental intermodal route years that could have made UPS THE package
> carrier (might have even prevented the advent of Federal Express). Also
> pick up the D&H and Boston & Maine - Maine Central for Montreal and New
> England reach. This carrier would still exist today and be BNSF's eastern
> line.

Wasn't there some interest expressed by the Santa Fe in the EL just prior to Conrail?

As I recall nothing happened because the EL folks indicated they were too far along in the process of their late entry into Conrail.
Does anyone remember any more about this.
Also, what about Marc/EL(???).  If this had occurred, what might the eastern RR scene have looked like?

Tony Horn