Re: (erielack) Morristown & Erie interchange

Chuck,

I remember spotting up at Paul Jefferies while holding onto 19 cars
including the outbound empties. They had six doors, you could shove two off
the east end and let one hang off the west end without fouling the crossing.
The rest went back across the street to wait their turn at the dock. The six
empties would go back to Morristown.

There were two crossings on the street that went through the Vornado complex
and we sometimes had enough cars to block both crossing sometimes blocking
cars in between them until we were ready to spot up.

The most cars I have shoved over Ridgedale Ave was 13. If there were 11 or
fewer cars we could run around them in Whippany and shove from there. If
there were more than 11 then we had to drop them on the grade between Troy
Hills Road and Algonquin Parkway. That hill was steeper than 3% if I
remember (Al, can you help out here?). With 13 loaded cars, after you bled
off the air, the draft would start rolling before you released all the hand
brakes. It made for a pretty exciting ride.

PJ's had told us they were going to do 2,000 cars per year but it never came
close to that. Most of the product was Gravy Train (appropriate?) dog food
with some paper product. While they started out heavy we began to see trucks
from Railhead Transportation going in and out with containers. It seems the
intermodal salesmen from Conrail took our boxcars away. It was downhill from
there.

Steve
- --
Chauffeur to the masses