RE: (erielack) Special Day? What if?

Gary Kazin opined:

> What cargoes would a surviving Lackawanna carry today?  Coal was a
> big part of the DLW's business through WW II, but it's virtually gone
> here.  Would there be a market for anthracite for power plants, or
> export like NS and CSX do at Baltimore and Norfolk?

There's no room in the Hudson River to bring in one of those export coal ships, is there? I doubt coal would play any role in a modern DL&W, if it still existed.

> How would a surviving DLW participate in intermodal traffic that runs
> on CSX and NS?  How would this traffic get onto DLW, given that it
> only went to Buffalo - would it be like today's NYS&W, a niche player
> used mostly for detours?

If the DL&W still existed today, it would have already been merged into one of those two roads. I'm sure the N&W and B&O guys wonder the same thing - but their roads got merged into the big NS and CSX conglomerates.