RE: (erielack) Lackawanna & The Nickel Plate

Yes, and this is why Perry Shoemaker threatened to shut down all DL&W
commuter operations in NJ.  The state legislative, in its infinite wisdom,
responded to the threat with a minimal subsidy...now, 50+ years later,
about 50 cents of every dollar that NJ Transit spends originates from some
kind of subsidy.

             "Paul Brezicki"
             <doctorpb_@_bellsou
             th.net>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "EL Mailing List"
             erielack-owner_@_li         <erielack@lists.elhts.org>
             sts.elhts.org             "Schuyler Larrabee"
                                       <schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net>
                                                                        cc
             10/19/2006 07:14
                                       RE: (erielack) Lackawanna & The
                                       Nickel Plate
             Please respond to
              "Paul Brezicki"
             <doctorpb_@_bellsou
                  th.net>

Absolutely true. Later on, the commuters (and NJ taxes) was partly why N&W
kept unwanted stepchild EL at arm's length in Dereco, then happily dumped
it with bankruptcy.

Paul B

From: "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: (erielack) Lackawanna & The Nickel Plate

> I don't think that the NKP would want to touch the
> Lackawanna's commuter district with a 10 foot pole, though.
>
> Just my opinions, they're not worth too much.
>
> Rick Fleischer

You dismiss yourself too much, Rick.  I think the DL&W commuter financial
sinkhole was a factor.

SGL