RE: (erielack) Special Day? What if?

Ed,

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  The DL&W and NKP had a window of
opportunity to merge that had closed by the 1950s.  Even though I've seen
it denied, I think it's clear that the NYC pulled strings to stop the DL&W
from expanding.  The problem with the DL&W was that building to Buffalo
during the 1800s was lucrative enough, particularly with all the Scranton
anthracite traffic.  But when they needed to be a bigger railroad later on
in order to survive that opportunity was already lost.

Chuck

             "Montgomery,
             Edward T"
             <Edward.Montgomer                                          To
             y_@_fcps.edu>               <mdelvec952@aol.com>
                                       <Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com>
             10/18/2006 09:21          <toddsyr_@_twcny.rr.com>
                                       <erielack_@_lists.elhts.org>,
                                       <erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: (erielack) Special Day?  What
                                       if?

The big stumbling block with DL&W merging with anyone was probably the New
York Central interest in the company.  NYC probably stopped all Lackawanna
plans for expansion in the 1920s and probably still opposed any end-to-end
mergers in the 50s.  An NKP merger would have aided in the grain traffic
because NKP hauled it in the midwest to the lake ports.  I think NKP saw
the loss of revenue in the New York Metro area as another reason for not
persuing a merger in the 50's.  Erie was all that was left and neither
company seemed to have a way to increase or at least stablize carloading.

Ed Montgomery