RE: (erielack) Special Day? What if?

I think you're right, Ed, and that continued during the 20's.  Harwood's book suggests that the Vans
were quite interested in the DL&W, but it's stock price was too high for them to be able to acquire
it.  I can imagine that is one reason.  The other is, however much Mr Smith of the NYC was friendly
to the Vans, and did a lot to futher their plans, I think that giving them THAT good a line to NYC
was a bit more than he or they were willing to do.  The ERIE?  Sure, nothing much to fear there, the
poor, ignorant, underpowered, undermaintained ERIE wouldn't help the Vans THAT much, now would it?
It's kind of surprising that Harwood doesn't mention this as a factor.  At least, I didn't see it in
the book Invisible Giants.

SGL