Re: (erielack) Happy Erie Lackawanna Day!(2)

Like many of you from North Jersey, my first recollections are of the
Caldwell Branch while living in Verona in the late 1960's/early 1970's - I
remember the wig-way on Fairview Ave. and the Silver Lake drills delivering
boxcars to Bahr Lumber and West Essex Lumber in Verona, which towards the
end were the only regular consignees on the branch -

'The Erie Lackawanna Story' was my first big book purchase which
familiarized me to the rest of the EL system via photos - after a few years
of practicing on the Caldwell Branch, early photography shifted to Great
Notch in conjunction w/acquisition of a driver's license and the discovery
of long-haul freights on the Boonton Line/Greenwood Lake line.

After high school graduation in '76, it was off to Ohio for college, which I
looked forward to, since this was Alco country.  By then, CR was starting
out, but alot of EL still existed through the late 1970's, and I was
fortunate to be able to see and photograph EL Alco's still in action at
Brier Hill, Akron and Cleveland  before consolidation and elimination of CR
assets starting taking hold in the early 1980's...

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384