Re: (erielack) Happy Erie Lackawanna Day!

I most remember the Black Rock Yard operations which were switched either by
EL or CN depending on the year. One time I was there (I was 14 or 15) just
poking around in my Osh Kosh overalls and a train of auto-racks was coming off
the bridge and through the yard. One of the guys on the head end tossed 4 or 5
torpedos to me and said "Keep the kids off the train!"  I was sort of baffled
as I was probably one of the kids who was supposed to be kept off the train. I
dutifully manned my post until the train had passed and then I wandered off
toward home down the NYC Belt Line wondering what exactly these strange little
squares with the lead strips on the side did. Close to home I decided to strap
one to a rail and let a train run it over. In a few minutes a PC westbound
came rumbling down the tracks and of course the darned thing exploded with a
thunderous report, scaring the hell out of me and no doubt startling the crew.
Of course the train dumped its brakes and I took off running like a scared
rabbit! I had no idea it would explode with that much force, I had suspected
it might go off like a firecracker, but I really didn't know what it was or
what it was used for. Surprise! The crew never saw me thanks to the tall weeds
on the embankment and no doubt were mystified as to why they were stopped at
the Delaware Ave bridge. Maybe they thought it was a rules test, but I
didn't stick around to find out.

I may still have one or two of those torpedos from that day somewhere down in
the basement. They're probably dangerous being 30 years old by now.

Happy Birthday E-L!

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services