(erielack) Re-Erie Lackawanna Day

List,

I don't really remember E-L day per se. I was just about eight years old at
the time. Living in Warren, Oh. we used to travel to my grandmother's house in
Cleveland. This was often on the Ohio Turnpike or SR 82.

On the way we would always pass over top of SN tower on the Ohio SR 5 bridge.
This was a pretty busy place at the time with through trains and a switcher
or two stationed at Leavittsburg. It seemed to take a while before I even
noticed the Erie Lackawanna. The transition to the Lackawanna's colors took some
time, especially on yard engines. I was used to the Erie's yellow & black, and
the two tone green paint schemes.

Finally, I noticed that maroon and grey Lackawanna paint and thought , gee,
this is a really nice paint job. So, it wasn't very long until I really got to
admire that paint scheme.

Anyone remember when Athearn first produced the Erie Lackawanna GP-35's in HO
scale? Until that time you couldn't buy any locomotives factory painted for
EL. I just had to have one of those! That was back in the 70's.

At any rate, I sure miss that EL paint scheme. It had to be one of the
prettiest and classiest paint schemes, ever.

Rick Fleischer
ELHS 1428
Cortland, Oh.