Re: (erielack) Port Morris Turn

Shades of Ithaca!

             "Gary R. Kazin"
             <gkazin_@_yahoo.com
             Sent by:                  EL List
             erielack-owner_@_li         <erielack@lists.railfan.net>
             sts.elhts.org                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/17/2006 02:33          Re: (erielack) Port Morris Turn
             PM

             Please respond to
              "Gary R. Kazin"
             <gkazin_@_yahoo.com

- --- Charles_Walsh_@_berlex.com wrote:
> BTW, a 4% grade must have presented an interesting challenge on
> the siding, especially if the leaves were to get onto the rails,
> as would happen this time of year.  I wonder how the Freedom Train
> made it?

Very carefully...

Not only was the siding inclined, it had a switchback to reach the
Dairy Pak plant!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=morris+plains+new+jersey&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=40.8148,-74.474945
&spn=0.007633,0.021458&t=k&om=1

will get you an satellite view.  The Dairy Pak plant is at the top
center, with the Mennen Arena below it and the Colgate-Palmolive
(formerly Mennen Company) plant to its right.  Zoom in to see the
siding to the left of the Arena.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey