(erielack) Re: The Hayshaker

Lou Kern and Listers,

From Erie/EL Conductor Bob Fischer regarding the Hayshaker:

You can tell your friend Lou Kerns that there was two sides to the Hayshaker; upper and lower. He asked if any work ever got done, you can tell him that the lower end had the best switchman the Erie ever produced. Harry K. Wands. And it was not uncommon for that job to go out with 60 to 90 cars on Monday and Tuesday, and a light day we handled 50 or 60 cars. Six days per week. What great memories! When I started in 1950, the job use to work down one day and back to SV the next, and that was with steam. You could take water at Hillsdale or Anderson St. at the Suzy transfer or interchange. Great memories, remind me to tell you the story about taking water at Hillsdale.

Regards,

JJBoehner